Monday, July 01, 2002

Ooof, what a few days this has been since last I graced the keyboard here! Not that I'm at the usual "Here" for writing this stuff, but we'll get to that later. So:

Friday: Having had the meeting I thought was due on Friday morning on Tuesday I was in the office rather than the meeting room at Ipswich Buses. Did pop out for half an hour though to help Gary move a bus stop flag at Great Blakenham. We'd had one of our new shelters installed on Thursday afternoon and someone had phoned up Radio Suffolk in the afternoon to complain about it being in the wrong place because the actual bus stop was a few yards away. That was because there wasn't room for a shelter where the flag was before, so we knew we were going to move it when the shelter went in. But fancy calling the radio station rather than us. Some people are just odd.

Then I just did a teensy bit of work and spent too long hanging about the Llamasoft forums on the web before lunch. That was when I made the mistake (?) of going in to HMV and looking in the sale. OK, so I had actually gone in with the intention of getting the Miles Hunt CD at last, but they'd sold out. Why do I do this to myself? I've got a perfectly good credit card that could stand the occasional impulse CD purchase but instead I make myself wait until payday and when I get there they've sold 'em all. This has happened too many times for it to be palin stupidity. There must be a deeper reason. Anyway, I finally came out with two CDs - SilverGinger 5 Black Leather Mojo complete with Bonus second disc (that makes the two!) and one DVD - The Cannonball Run. That has to be one of my favourite films of all time and I haven't seen it for years. So, we watched that last night (Sunday) and it was just as funny as I remembered. I had forgotten just how many people were in it, and can't quite believe they packed it all into 90 minutes but that's memory for you.

The afternoon was spent showing the Park & Ride manager from Bristol (and his wife!) around our two sites (and also the guided busway) as he was looking for inspiration. They had come up on two wheels - I somehow can't imagine 240 miles as a pillion passenger with no way of having a conversation. Still, it is always nice to have someone else think what we do is the best.

In the evening we just mellowed out, had fish & chips for tea and watched TV. Nothing thrilling, but then who needs an exciting life all the time? To prove it here's a poem I've been meaning to stick on here for ages by Wendy Cope:

Being Boring
"May you live in interesting times" - Chinese Curse.


If you ask me "What's new?", I have nothing to say
Except that the garden is growing.
I had a slight cold but it's better today,
I'm content with the way things are going.
Yes, he's the same as he usually is,
Still eating and sleeping and snoring.
I get on with my work. He gets on with his.
I know this is all very boring.

There was drama enough in my turbulent past:
Tears and passion - I've used up a tankful.
No news is good news, and long may it last,
If nothing much happens, I'm thankful.
A happier cabbage you never did see,
My vegetable spirits are soaring.
If you're after excitement, steer well clear of me,
I want to go on being boring.

I don't go to parties. Well, what are they for,
If you don't need to find a new lover?
You drink and you listen and drink a bit more
And you take the next day to recover.
Someone to stay home with was all my desire
And, now that I've found a safe mooring,
I've just one ambition in life: I aspire
To go on and on being boring.


Which just about sums us up at the moment.

Saturday: Joan was at work and I had a very lazy start to the day - didn't even get up until gone 10. In the past that would have been unthinkable for me, but at the moment I just feel tired most of the time and fall asleep given half a chance. By the time I was finally ready to do anything Richard had turned up. We went out up to the big B&Q by the Bury Road Park & Ride. Joan and I are looking for something new to use for video/DVD storage in the lounge and also a new flashy shower head. Drew a blank on both fronts. We also popped in to Comet where he bought some CDs and Toys R Us where I got another of the remade Llamasoft games for £2.99 which wasn't to be sneezed at. We also had lunch at Tesco (gee, what thrills) then back here to fart about on the PC until it was time to get Joan.

We had a nice Chinese and watched Casualty - the last inthe series and a couple of good cliff-hanging storylines to boot. I can't decide if I like that or not - I know it is intended to help guarantee viewers for the start of the next series, but we would watch it anyway and now I really want to know what will happen. Big Brother then seemed to eat up the rest of the evening.

Yesterday we went up to Sainsburys for a bit of shopping which was made slightly tricky by them re-surfacing the car park so we had a bit of fun getting in. I do like the smell of hot tar though so that made up for it. Homebase failed to provide a shower head or storage unit either but we did at least manage to get loads of bargains on the food.

In the afternoon Mum took Joan round some local gardens that were open for charity while I had a bit of a blowing things up session on here. Then we watched the Cannonball and a bit of BB.

Today I have been at home. Thought I was OK when I first got up but then spent far too much time in the bathroom (you can work the details out for yourselves) and decided I was best not going to work as I probably wouldn't make the trip. In the end I slept until 1230 ish (more sleep, why am I so tired still?) and am only now coming to full sentience. Also had some very strange dreams again while I was snoring through the morning, mixing Greek Myths, archery, Lego and a flooded London. If that sounds weird don't worry, it didn't make much sense while I was dreaming it. Some dreams seem to hold together quite well while they are happening and only seem strange with hindsight, but this one felt odd from the start.

I have managed to find most of the floor and some of the shelves here in the study which is nice. Was helped on the way by the SilverGinger 5 discs and also: Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine - 1992: The Love Album and Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Are You Normal? all of which entertained me. Still feel a bit weak and have had a couple of wobbly weepy moments during the tidying, which is one of the reasons I've stopped now.

Also because it is nearly time to go pick Joan up and I want to post this.

No comments: