Thursday, February 07, 2002

Started a new book today:

The Encyclopaedia of Cult Childrens tv by Richard Lewis.

I have to admit that its probably a symptom of my age (I'll be 31 in a couple of weeks) but I'm just fascinated with the whole 70s & 80s nostalgia thing. How much of what I think I remember now is genuine memories and how much comes from the books and tv shows is a matter for debate though. Most of what I recall seems like it was good fun at the time when I think about the period, although I did have some pretty bad experiences at school. A couple of people who'd best remain nameless on here would not be welcome at my birthday party!

Anyway, back to the book. It looks pretty good from what I've read so far both in terms of style and content. For those of you who can't obtain it I recommend tv cream on the web instead. You can find that here. Fuller report when I get a bit further in.

Hopefully as this goes on a good picture of my tastes will appear. Basically I'll read anything that people recommend to me, but tend to stick mainly to certain themes so keep looking to learn more!

Musically I will also give anything a whirl. So, I'll be listing all purchases, recent spins in the cd player and stuff too. The last two cds I bought were:

Sum 41 - Half Hour Of Power and
Ginger - Greivous Acoustic Behaviour, Live At the 12 Bar


Both absolute corkers. Ginger I have been a fan of since the Wildhearts first appeared on the scene, and this double cd is very highly recommended for anyone who knows a bit of his musical history. I'm not sure it serves that well as an introduction to the man himself though as it (a) was recorded in fromt of friends and (b) gets very loose due to alcohol by the end. Sum 41 I discovered recently through the Kerrang channel on Sky TV and was instantly hooked. This was a surprise purchase as all the shops were plugging the new album as their first so I was not expecting this one to exist. Well, I call it an album, they refer to it as an EP on the sleeve notes, but as I've got cds marketed as albums that are shorter.... Anyway, they impress me a lot by combining current trends in rock with the older forms of Heavy Metal and doing it very well. Check it out.

That'll do for now. See ya.

No comments: